Top tips to reduce the amount of stress for you and your family when moving house.
Use the checklist below to help you with your move – check items off as you go. Writing lists also helps – just write down what you need to do, no matter how small. This will help you to stay focused.
SIX WEEKS BEFORE MOVING
- Confirm Date of Move
- Check home insurance (make sure you have cover from the date of occupation)
- Obtain written quotes from removal firms. Check their insurance limits.
- Arrange help if not using professional movers.
- Arrange storage space if required
- Notifiy utilities
- Dispose of unwanted possessions
- Order any new furniture and carpets and arrange for delivery after completion
TWO WEEKS PRIOR
- Pack non-essential items
- Withdraw registration from doctor, dentist, and optician etc if moving out of area
- Arrange post forwarding with Royal Mail
- Notify Milkman, newspapers and other regular services of your move and supply a termination date
- Arrange for children and/or pets to be chaperoned during the move
- Make a list of anyone who will need to be informed of your move and send change of address notifications
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company and confirm arrival.
SERVICES AND UTILITIES
- Post Office
- TV/Video rental companies
- TV licensing
- Building Societies
- Credit Card providers
- Council Tax Department
- National Savings and Premium Bonds
- Your Employer
- Insurance providers
- Pension providers
- Breakdown recovery company
- Vehicle registration
- Vehicle insurance
- Friends and relatives
- Milk delivery,
- Sports club/gym
- Schools and Colleges
- Clubs and associations
The information in this video and all other videos published by Leia Pearce on her channel or via our social media outlets is for entertainment purposes and general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not/does not constitute legal advice. If you need more details on your rights or legal advice about what action to take, please contact an adviser or solicitor.